Sunday, July 4, 2010

Every quilt needs a label...right?

Ok...I must admit something and I may have already admitted it before.  I'm a LAZY quilter.  And as a result of this affliction I don't like making quilt labels...except for special quilt (aka gifted quilts).  But I when I do make one I go for broke.  If you're going make one, make it special...just like the quilt.

Here's a label I made for a comfort quilt that went to a recent widow.  The quilt was made from the pj's of her recently departed husband's.  He had been ill for a long time and its was his pj's she remembered most.  The penguin had been on a nightshirt so I incorporated into the label.  I like how it's looking down on the photo.  I think it's kinda sweet.


I didn't present the quilt to the widow personally.  But I heard she cried when she saw it and was very happy with it and I also hear she uses the quilt everyday.  Here's the front of the quilt just in case you were wondering.  It's look pretty good for being poly/cotton pj's.


So back to the topic of labels.  So yesterday I was thinking about that baby quilt for Jennifer.  Again, I knew it had to be something special.  And here's what I came up with.  Here is the original inspiration from the book Iron-On Transfers for Quilt Labels by Barbara Baatz.


And here is what I made...


I love it!  Today I'm going to write the words on and embroidery them.  This little label has inspired me to  come up with an original quilt using wreaths and flowers.  *must find time to do some drawing*

3 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Wow! I love your labels! I am the world's greatest label procrastinator! I need to make loads of labels one of these days! :-o Thanks for the inspiration~ Love the quilt too!

Barb said...

What an amazing quilt....and what a joy it must be to you to know how she received it.

Anonymous said...

Sweet label...sweet idea to put a photo with it...gosh darn...you've made me think I need to step it up a bit.